Food News

August 12, 2015

Our girls have been in a Pee-Wee Chef class this summer learning how to prepare some fun kid-friendly-and-easy snacks and meals.  They have loved every minute of it and are so sad that it is coming to an end.  With their interest in cooking and food being elevated, they have been making daddy and I homemade salads (which are actually great) and little snacks; like banana with a dipping sauce made with PB and chocolate sauce mixed together!! 

Now that they are really into it I want to go with their momentum.  They cook with daddy all the time as daddy is our own personal Iron Chef, but I thought it was about time that I started cooking with them too!  So I bought a few things to get us started and try a few new things . . .

Since one of their favorite things to do and an easy thing for them to make is a big salad I finally got around to buying these "green bags" for produce.  We buy so much produce that goes bad by the end of the week - it is such a waste of money!  So these are supposed to keep your veggies fresher for up to 3weeks!  Fresh produce = more salads for daddy and I!  I will let you know what I think about them!  (buy here)





The next thing I bought that is so fun and that the girls love is a "Zoodler."  This one has three different blade sizes so you can do a spaghetti, linguini, and a wide-ribbon zoodle.  It tastes amazing with tomato sauce and garlic!  And the girls LOVE using it! you can make curly sweet potato fires, curly fun apple spirals!!!  I love that this gets them involved and excited to eat veggies! (buy here)

They last thing I bought was this "Nut milk bag" - it is like cheesecloth but way better, easier and less messy.  You can use it to strain anything - nut milks, juices, etc.  I bought this so I could make my own coconut milk and boy am I glad I did!!!  Peeps if you like coconut milk stop buying the store stuff that has a bunch of other ingredients added and try this 3minute recipe below!!! The result is the cleanest, purest, tastiest coconut milk you have ever had!! (buy here) and the girls loved squeezing the nut bag to get out all the milk goodness!






Coconut Milk 
2 cups warm filtered water
1 cup organic, unsweetened shredded coconut

Put water and coconut in blender and blend for 45-60secs 
Pour blended mixture through "nut milk bag" (or cheesecloth) into a bowl

Put in closed container in fridge (I used a mason jar).  
It will last for 4 days 

Note - Once it settles it will have a thicker layer on the top - for a treat 
use a spoon and scoop this into your morning coffee!!! 
If you don't like that just shake it to mix it up

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments, I truly appreciate it! Have a fabulous day. xoxo E